Rainbo's Inn

If friends were stopped at an Inn for a cup of tea, they might discuss the thoughts expressed here.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Hollyhock seeds


I have been “thrashing” Hollyhock seed. These are the really tall old-fashioned Hollyhocks. My DDL wants some for her yard. Yesterday I cut down the dry stalks and put them on a large piece of plastic (I think a mattress may have come in it) and put it on the deck. This morning I went out on the deck with a pair of shoes with lug soles and “thrashed” it with my feet. I was going to use the leaf blower to “winnow” the seeds to get the shaft out but they are too light and tend to blow away too. I even tried blowing with my mouth.

Anyway, I got some bowls and a colander with large holes and tried manually sifting them. By shaking the bowl with seeds in it, at least some of the shaft comes to the top. I can pick it off by hand, then when I sift the seeds through the colander, the dust drops down. I have so many, I may try selling them locally. I love gardening and maybe can earn some money to finance it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home